07 September 2008

Obama. Foot. Mouth.

This really is funny. I know what he meant, but this wording--is he going to regret this slip up or what?

On this morning's "This Week With George Stephanopoulous," Obama was asked about certain allegations about playing politics with the "M" card. He responded:

Let’s not play games. What I was suggesting -- you’re absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith.

Now in context from the Dallas Morning News:

Obama was asked about the implication that the GOP had been smearing him by suggesting he's Muslim and not Christian.

"These guys love to throw a brick and hide their hand." Obama singled out FOX News which aired discredited accusations that Obama had attended a religious madrassa, and political commentators "close to" the GOP.

John McCain has not talked about my "Muslim faith." And I think that his campaign upper echelons have not, What I think is far to say is coming out of the Republican camp here are efforts to say I am not what I say I am in terms of my faith.

There you go.
According to the Washington Times,
illustrating the difficulty of preventing false rumors about his faith from spreading, anti-Obama groups within one hour of the interview had sliced it out of context and were sending it around via email. They also were blogging about it [italics original].

You have to wonder about the people who do still believe the Muslim business. They must really want it to be true to ignore any and all evidence to the contrary (see the link to Snopes at the right, and if you're not a Snopes kind of person, you can try About.com).

No comments: