16 May 2008

Update: Clinton's Campaign and Obama Smear Emails

The other day I posted about some questionable doin's among Hillary Clinton's campaign staffers in West Virginia. I received the information from a friend, who read the following series of comments from a blog that supports Larry Sinclair (you can Google him if you like):

Woman one says Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 12:02 pm
Listen everybody. I just spoke to someone that was at the Hillary campaign camp in
West Virginia where she is today.

He gave me an email address and asked me to send as many emails on this as I can so he can hand it to several people there.

I just dont feel that there is that much time left as the scum bag is in Wash trying to pick up more superdelegates as I am typing.

[extraneous material deleted]

Anyhow….here is the number of the place where Hillary is today

West Virginia State Headquarters
191 Summers Street
Charleston, WV 25301
Phone: (304) 346-1913
[email deleted]

Beckley Office
207 Prince Street
Beckley, WV 25801

Phone: (304) 252-7740
[email deleted]

Fairmont Office
312 Adams Street
Fairmont, WV 26554

Phone: (304) 367-1830
[email deleted]

Eastern Panhandle Office
201 N. George St. Suite 102
Charles Town, WV 25414
Phone: (304) 724-4068
[email deleted]

I call 1st number and got an email address with request to send many

Hope this helps you out [name deleted].

I have not received any responses yet to any I sent yesterday [no surprise there!]

have a good day all

Woman two says Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 12:54 pm
Xyxyxy I didnt reach Geraldine Ferraro but I just emailed two copies of youtubes videos to Hillary’s campain in WV to a guy that said he would be sure to get it to her tonight He wanted several copies His mail address is

crazedgoalie678@gmail

[tangential material deleted]

Woman Two says Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 1:06 pm

SORRY TRY


crazedgoalie678@gmail.com [note: no longer a functioning account. See below]

---

My friend then sent an email to Clinton's WV headquarters asking if Senator Clinton's campaign really needed to get involved with this story. He cc'd it to all of the locations listed above as well as to the young man, "crazedgoalie678," who had spoken with Sinclair's supporter. On 5/14, The young man responded:

Hey, it's my email. I'm actually a volunteer, not a staffer. I'm off the campaign tomorrow, but seriously, these people would bombard us with calls non-stop so I just gave them my gmail. It's not a campaign account, and no one from the campaign is requesting information. People are providing us with it, I don't like it and I'm not using it for any purposes. I know it's all false anyways. The only way its a hillary staffer is if the email with it ends in hillaryclinton.com and i have no such thing.

A "thank you" sent in response to the young man's email bounced--he'd jacked the gmail address.

I admire that this young man responded, and moreso that he actually included his real name. I Googled him and saw that he's been intensely involved with the Senator's campaigns in NH, PA, and SC, as well. He even took a leave from university to do so.

Now, this young man's commitment to politics is commendable. It's admirable. I'd like to believe that he was just trying to shut "woman one" up by saying "yeah, yeah, just send it over and I'll have a look." That, however, is not the way she tells it (but, as Sinclair's supporters are a bit "excitable," it could be that she misinterpreted or exaggerated the fellow's response). On the other hand, if this young man stoops to encouraging and redistributing slanderous emails about the opposition's candidate, well, then. . . .it wouldn't be unheard of. Clinton's campaign and its supporters have been pretty good about sending out questionable emails. Remember the campaign staffers who lost their positions for circulating the "Manchurian Candidate" emails?

I'd like to make it clear that I do not think Clinton is "in on" trying to find this kind of dirt on Obama, and I do not think this nonsense affected the outcome in WV. But I do think it's questionable. And slimy.

And I applaud Senator Clinton's reactions to President Bush's comments in the Knesset. Very gracious, very democratic, and very patriotic.

No comments: